Tuesday, December 22, 2009

Fish for dinner!

So currently I am reading the book "Food Cures" published by Reader's Digest.

I highly recommend picking this book up if you are interested in a fairly simple explanation about the chemistry of food and how it affects your the body.

Food Cures at Amazon.com


I had fish for dinner tonight! My parents took me to this little Mediterranean food restaurant near our house for a welcome home dinner. It was delightful!
I had Red Snapper, Tri-color tomatoes, and cooked eggplant.

Immediately when I got home, I looked up these different dishes to see just how they're working and helping my body.

Chapter One in the book is alll about FAT.

One of the essential kinds of fat that your body needs are Omega-3 Fatty acids. These include fish, nuts, and olive oil.
We need these essential fats to stay healthy and help our bodies fight diseases.

FISH



"Each year, about a quarter of a million people in the United States with no prior history of cardiovascular disease die of sudden cardiac death, which occurs when the heart starts beating erratically."

BUT! Studies have shown that simply eating fish once a week cuts the risk of sudden cardiac death in half!
The American Heart Association recommends eating several servings of fish each week!

Polyunsaturated fats, that you get from fish and nuts, as well as monounsaturated fats, found in olive oil, help protect the cardiovascular system and lowers rates of heart disease and depression.

So I had Red Snapper for dinner, but according to most studies, Salmon is probably the best kind of fish that you could eat. This is because it is a very fatty fish, thus you get more of the oil and nutrients out of it.
Albacore tuna is another good choice.

Fun Fact:



Have you ever wondered why Eskimos aren't all depressed? (Well... I actually hadn't thought about that until I read this fact...) Anyway... Because of their lack of a full day's sunlight, you would think that these people would be gloomy and depressed. Well, think again, because some scientists believe that since these people consume a large amount of seafood, the the fish oil that they are consuming is keeping them from developing depression!







No comments:

Post a Comment